Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Won't launch from boat so I'm selling

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not new. The last firmware update allowed for this. It's not like they have to go rewrite The firmware. Why are so many people up DJI defenders?I have one thing to say to everybody who reads this,and I promise it's the last thing I'm going to say because it's frustrating to see what others write.it's simple, remember that you're buying a $3000 plus product that is supposed to work. It is supposed to be a finished product. Pretend you were buying a brand-new car. The first day you driving home it drives itself and your garage, the next day the fucking wheels fall off. And then the next day it won't start because your driveway is on an angle. Would you have an issue with the car company that you purchased it from?remember we are consumers and they are a company selling this product. There has to be a line where they are accountable when we pay them up front for something that doesn't work as advertised. This isn't rocket science. From reading the forum it is clear this thing wasn't readyand anyone's saying otherwise is a fool. So people where is the line?
Nick, I really liked your post here, but I have to say that if I was buying a $3000 car, I would probably expect the wheels to fall off and the engine to stall once in a while ;-)

Just kidding of course, but I think everyone gets your point. Based on what we've read on a few threads, this is being looked at by DJI and we need to be a bit more patient.

Not to be a dji fanboy but the only company or institution that i know of that makes a device that flies well , records good video , transmits good video & remote controlled is NASA , and you might consider Virgin galactic...

You can check the budget that these companies operate on compared to dji .. We all know that their records are not flawless...

This business is not as simple as slapping 4 wheels on a chassis and giving it a motor the r&d for that has been around for over a century ....

From a business standpoint , I would say give dji a break. They are doing a pretty freaking good job ..
They will fix the glitches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiski23
People who are willing to settle for defective merchandise/service get what they deserve....

People who are willing to settle for defective merchandise/service get what they deserve....
Truth! I know I'm desperate for something that works. Forward speed is critical to what we do in the phantom to doesn't have quite enough of it. That's the critical performance factor for me. I am angry because the existing channels for customer servive are some of the worst I've ever experienced. It's not my fault that they're growing too fast. I am done with their products. So good luck to all who choose to stay. I have learned once again that desperation is a trap. Still looking to sell my set up. Phone three times for batteries pelican case and tablet. Looking to get out what I have and which is retail.

Greetings, I have a brand-new inspire one production model with four batteries,pelican case and Samsung tablet for sale. I use UAVs for Marine research. Unfortunately we learned today that the inspire one will not allow the motors to start up while on a moving surface. The rocking of the boat does not allow us to power the motors up. I bought the aircraft from the New York distributor and they only offer in store credit. It turns out I'm stuck with the phantom 2 forMarine launching. I'm only looking to get out what I paid for it. Please call 847-502-8227 for details.

Then, I had rather sold the boat! and retained inspire1:)

This is not new. The last firmware update allowed for this. It's not like they have to go rewrite The firmware. Why are so many people up DJI defenders?I have one thing to say to everybody who reads this,and I promise it's the last thing I'm going to say because it's frustrating to see what others write.it's simple, remember that you're buying a $3000 plus product that is supposed to work. It is supposed to be a finished product. Pretend you were buying a brand-new car. The first day you driving home it drives itself and your garage, the next day the fucking wheels fall off. And then the next day it won't start because your driveway is on an angle. Would you have an issue with the car company that you purchased it from?remember we are consumers and they are a company selling this product. There has to be a line where they are accountable when we pay them up front for something that doesn't work as advertised. This isn't rocket science. From reading the forum it is clear this thing wasn't readyand anyone's saying otherwise is a fool. So people where is the line?

I see where you're getting at here, and I agree that a $3000 product should be perfect and everything thought of before releasing. But, this is DJI, and a lot of us have come to expect and unfortunately accept (no choice really) this behavior. Why? Because if history is any indication, trying to get DJI to change the way they launch products or improve their customer service is like beating a dead horse. But I still think they have the best well-rounded products on the market, once those products actually get to the well-rounded stage that is.

This is where you went wrong. This IS rocket science. This industry is still very fresh and the machines are incredibly complex, especially considering their size. I for one understand and accept these temporary issues we are experiencing. I even expected them when I purchased my machine. I think DJI are doing a decent job in resolving them. The fact that 1 person reports a niche issue on a forum which gets attention from DJI representatives and even gets the promise to be fixed by their R&D department is pretty impressive if you ask me. No, I am not paid by DJI to post this nor do I work for them. :)

"Houston, we have a problem", " we have DJI-gear inside"!

I see where you're getting at here, and I agree that a $3000 product should be perfect and everything thought of before releasing.
Name one product over $3000 that's been 'perfect' upon general launch? Not even military aircraft have been 'perfect'. This is complicated ****, and not every single unit is going to perform flawlessly; the Internet just provides a big echo chamber to make it seem like everything is doom and gloom.

[To audiences: This isn't defending DJI's seemingly-shoddy QC. This is defending against yet another ridiculous statement.]

Name one product over $3000 that's been 'perfect' upon general launch? Not even military aircraft have been 'perfect'. This is complicated ****, and not every single unit is going to perform flawlessly; the Internet just provides a big echo chamber to make it seem like everything is doom and gloom.]

I am going to agree. Again, I'm not defending their crappy CS and generally poor communication efforts, but I think some people are assuming that this is like buying a $200 model airplane or a refrigerator or a coffee maker. Even the $3000 coffee makers. And when you buy you expect it to work out of the box in a particular way. And if it doesn't, you have a level of disappointment and expect to get another one or return it. But this is more like a car, a new model car. Or getting new software or a new NAS. The expectation is that with increased complexity comes an increased likelihood of an issue. These quads really are highly sophisticated flying machines taking video, photos,with a gimbal...etc. They are complex!

What pisses everyone off, whether with a car or quad, is when the company does not acknowledge a concern or really sets an expectation and it fails. MPG or acceleration or level of safety for a car. If a company advertises something and it is just not real, that's a problem. The iOS support for I1 is like that. That was a bit shady. In this case (of launch from a boat), I think it was very fair that Nick was disappointed he could not launch from a boat because we've been set up to assume (by the Phantom and other DJI products) that it would launch and never received notice otherwise. I'm not sure of the legality, but it would be nice if DJI would acknowledge by saying, "Yes, we are working on this issue. It was unanticipated. We are committed to you, our customer." But that message, it seems, is inconsistent.

That's what I get out of it.

Name one product over $3000 that's been 'perfect' upon general launch? Not even military aircraft have been 'perfect'. This is complicated ****, and not every single unit is going to perform flawlessly; the Internet just provides a big echo chamber to make it seem like everything is doom and gloom.

[To audiences: This isn't defending DJI's seemingly-shoddy QC. This is defending against yet another ridiculous statement.]

Sorry, I didn't mean to say perfect as in flawless, but rather "get it right at launch". Separate industry, but take for example how Rockstar Games delays their releases often because they are not ready. An issue like prop locks should have been discovered before launch, and not shortly after which seems a bit embarrassing and caused some controversy.

Edit: For the record, I am still going to buy one, as soon as I can get this PayPal Credit deal resolved.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say perfect as in flawless, but rather "get it right at launch". Separate industry, but take for example how Rockstar Games delays their releases often because they are not ready. An issue like prop locks should have been discovered before launch, and not shortly after which seems a bit embarrassing and caused some controversy.

Edit: For the record, I am still going to buy one, as soon as I can get this PayPal Credit deal resolved.
Yet every GTA has had its share of bugs and game-busting issues. And so will their upcoming GTA V PC release. No product launch is 100% perfect for 100% of customers. It's statistically impossible once you go beyond a certain number of units. That's all I'm trying to impart.

There are a lot of flying situations. While it may seem like a 'no-brainer' for them to test a specific instance regarding moving platforms, maybe they didn't think of that use case. Or perhaps in their tests, it did work (as it does for one other poster here), for whatever situational reason.

It's natural and logical to be frustrated and disappointed, but some of the people posting are coming completely unhinged. If DJI is taking care of these folks (and it seems for the most part, they are), it makes more sense to try to get some perspective on what it means to be an early adopter than waste time going on a tirade in a non-DJI-owned forum.

There are no flawless nor perfect products at any price !

I don't mean to sound braggadocious but when i decided to buy a high performance new double six figure car , it was nowhere near

perfect. Several trips back and forth to the dealership so troubleshoot and solve issues etc..
I knew what I was getting into since it was the first run of new production model.

People have glitches and issues with brand new multi million dollar learjets ..

In 2013, BMW recalled all new bmw m5's a week after 150 people took delivery to fix a major oil leak.

The first production run of the DJI Inspire 1 is not going to be as good as the ones they will release 6 months from now. That is a simple manufacturing fact for DJI , SONY, GOPRO, BMW ,PORSCHE , FERRARI or any company for that matter.

I don't mean to sound braggadocious but when i decided to buy a high performance new double six figure car , it was nowhere near

perfect. Several trips back and forth to the dealership so troubleshoot and solve issues etc..
I knew what I was getting into since it was the first run of new production model.

In 2013, BMW recalled all new bmw m5's a week after 150 people took delivery to fix a major oil leak.

The first production run of the DJI Inspire 1 is not going to be as good as the ones they will release 6 months from now. That is a simple manufacturing fact for DJI , SONY, GOPRO, BMW ,PORSCHE , FERRARI or any company for that matter.
ok ok enough of this. Let's see some pictures of that double 6 figure car ;-)

Reactions: lrwskyfilms

It makes sense that this wouldn't bother you. See its differnt when you spend everything you have on something in hopes of recapturing your investment on a job and the fucking props fly off. Did the wheels come off your car? Did the fucking engines fly off your private jet? I have used many products from the brands mentioned excluding last three obsurd companies and I haven't had any issue relative to the dji products. In fact I just un boxed a the new phantom 2 2.0 and discoverd that the footage is packed with more hello than grocery store! Then was told it's because I need a nd filter to trick my camera into ignoring the new vibration. The last phantom 2 did not have this problem. Wtf. Selling everything when I get home. Time to build. Oh and what exactly does double six didget mean? Us common folk are easly confused. 000,000,000,000?
Did you by the moon rover? Mars rover? Oh maybe you bought the entire company?

Reactions: SVidz
How are you suppose to calibrate the compass if ur on a boat with all the magnet, wires and metal on there? It might work the first few times but eventually its gonna malfunction, I've seen a few videos on YouTube where people take off from a boat with their phantoms and out of the blu it decided to do its own thing and crashed, I think there's a reason why dji took away that option

How are you suppose to calibrate the compass if ur on a boat with all the magnet, wires and metal on there? It might work the first few times but eventually its gonna malfunction, I've seen a few videos on YouTube where people take off from a boat with their phantoms and out of the blu it decided to do its own thing and crashed, I think there's a reason why dji took away that option

You wouldn't ! You would calibrate it (if at all) on dry land before you boarded the boat. The compass only needs calibrating for changes in magnetic declination. It is unlikely you would travel far enough on a small boat to alter the value.
The reason you see the Phantoms fly off in odd directions on YT is because the accelerometers and gyros cannot get a proper calibration on a moving surface.

I agree quadpilot, a lot of people have a lot to say. Say it to who matters rather than spreading bad news to people who are on a forum because they are enthusiasts who enjoy this product. It's going to have bugs, they will fix them.

I agree and I have said so in other areas. It really amazes me that there seem to be so many people who are willing to make excuses for a company that has done so many things wrong AND continues to do so. Mistakes happen, completely understood. It says a LOT about a person/company in HOW they deal with mistakes that pop up. Sadly, there is no one mistake here. DJI's long series of faults has cost me personally a lot of time , money, hassle and face. I was wholly beside myself when I finally received my Inspire (delays cost me my trip to Japan) only to find the Apple app had disappeared. Blew me away completely. I thought it was a joke. Thankfully I was able to get a copy of the app - NOT THE POINT!! I shouldn't HAVE to do that. I shouldn't HAVE to ground my drone because the friggin props fly off and I haven't received prop locks. Won't launch from a boat?! I bought it TO DO THAT in part because their commercial SHOWED people launching from boat! Yes, I'm sure it'll be fixed in the future but guess what? They PROMISED it NOW - NOT later. I shouldn't HAVE to deal with imu issues that could cause my $3000+ + accessories (yet to arrive) aircraft crash. Toilet bowl issues, GPS issues, issues, issues, issues. WTF plain and simple.
I'm not a beta tester that got a freebie to play with. I'm a consumer. I shouldn't have to trouble shoot, search around for fixes, search around for hidden apps through the back door, wait for the extras that I ordered (batteries, props, spares). I bought an iPad specifically for the Inspire BECAUSE DJI SPECIFICALLY SAID that was THE best platform. NOT MY FAULT DJI SCREWED UP with apple AND I found out about that issue on this forum - NOT from the holy DJI. Thanks guys! Compensation for my destroyed trip to Japan? Compensation for my completely functional $800+ iPad that doesn't "legally" interface with your platform? Compensation for the $3000+ Inspire I'm not supposed to fly without prop locks?
NO- there will not be any. All I see is a lot of coddling. Oh, I'm sure everything will be fine.....in the future, and everyone will forget all the ******** that the first generation of consumer beta testers (us) had to wade through. Again, NOT the point. This should NOT have happened. I too had faith in this company once. S1000, Phantom x2 and I believe this is where the honeymoon ends for me. I am amazed that a class action lawsuit hasn't been filed as of yet. This entire process has been such a bait and switch across the board. There are a LOT of pissed off people out there and I'm one of them. We were promised SO much and delivered so little - SO late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop