Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New firmware available 1.2.1.06

I stand corrected to the Editor's deeper knowledge. But why would I want to walk 10-15m times 3 to check the compass calibration when I can make myself dizzy? NB: I operate in rural locations with little magnetic interference.
Dizzy means you can fall over and hurt your Inspire :p
No... You only have to do the three point walk ONCE when you calibrate and that only the first time you use that location.
I actually calibrate in my garden (same spot each time) as I know that is a good spot.
You do not need to walk elsewhere if you KNOW it is a good spot to calibrate.
Works for me......:)

Reactions: Scotflieger
In theory (and looking at the log files) yes it was only the batteries that got the update but......... We are talking about DJI here so its possible that something else got updated with no audit trail to it! I always like to be overly cautious on updates so my regime is to do IMU, Compass and Stick calibration after every one :)

Stupid question: Does it matter what order you do them in?
Bird (compass)
IMU
then sticks

What he said ^^^^^^^^^ :)

Doesn't make any difference on order but..... (there's always a but) It is probably a good idea to do the IMU first when the flight controller in the Inspire is cold.
It seems to give more reliable results if as soon as you switch the Inspire on (from cold) and the lady has said "Welcome to your aircraft etc" and the gimbal has spun round like its from the Exorcist go straight in and immediately calibrate the IMU.

Within the Advanced, Failsafe settings, Return-To-Home Altitude, there is Only the box for entering the number of meters. There is a DONE button located on the I-pad popup keyboard. I have of course clicked this button assuming to complete the entry.
No other Done button within the actual Pilot App exists.
Perhaps I need to uninstall the app and reinstall.

I must be brain dead...I cannot find the Return To Home Altitude Setting on the Pilot App...I have the latest IOS version. Thanks!

Id recommend just checking the sensor values if your takeoff location changes. Just verify that the values are in the ball park of a previous flight success.

That's all i do now after the major v1.2.1.03 back in early May 2015. OR UNLESS DJI STATES TO DO A FULL IMM and COMPASS CALIBRATION on any FUTURE UPDATE.

I agree, once done, it should be good to go! I do this on my 2012 Phantom 2's and F450, F550 and been flying these with ZERO issues.

Tips of experience.

Best regards,
Steve

Reactions: LockMD
Editor: did you update your AC to latest firmware 1.2.1.06, i just wonder since it only update battery. I havent update mind yet

LG G3

Editor: did you update your AC to latest firmware 1.2.1.06, i just wonder since it only update battery. I havent update mind yet

LG G3
Yes I did as although I never leave my batteries stored at anything like 40% or less there have been instances where people have flown their packs down to circa 20% then only left them for a few hours and they haven't woken up again!
Thought I had better look after my investment of 8 batteries :eek:
Although not strictly necessary I also did IMU, compass and stick calibration afterwards as I do with ALL FW updates.
Each battery only takes around 90 seconds to update so not too bad.

Reactions: Skyline
I stand corrected to the Editor's deeper knowledge. But why would I want to walk 10-15m times 3 to check the compass calibration when I can make myself dizzy? NB: I operate in rural locations with little magnetic interference.
I understand where you are coming from Scot. I was completely on your page with this until a fellow pilot who is an electronics professional convinced me that once I get a good compass calibration (check IMU once before each flight) Then it's good for the region.
Since you are in a rural location you have the best environment to confidently get a spot on calibration. Our good Ed has convinced me that each time we calibrate, we run the risk of getting a compromised compass reading, but that does not mean you are wrong in what you do. You seem to be a careful pilot & I admire that. Do continue to fly safe & that also means you should continue to calibrate before each flight if that is your preference.

Yes I did as although I never leave my batteries stored at anything like 40% or less there have been instances where people have flown their packs down to circa 20% then only left them for a few hours and they haven't woken up again!
Thought I had better look after my investment of 8 batteries :eek:

I have one 47 battery that did that... Suicide...
One day working, but drained...had at least 3 total cycles on it...one since 03 reflash
I had left it 2 days at est 25%...
Went to raise it to 50%... nothing... acted dead...
Sat about 8 days... then one night started flashing the LED's.....woke me up
Very brief flashes then long pauses... I tried again to charge or turn on...
It keep flashing and ignored my efforts to save it...
Over a week later...
Passed it off to an RC buddy to see if it was salvageable...
Asked him to get it apart and use his charging equipment to see if the cells had any charge... would take a charge... maybe save it Dracula style... :eek:
He reported back it drained itself and killed all 12 cells... (6sx2p array inside)
None would hold a charge for long... complete suicide state,,,
The irony is... it's the same 47 batt that came with "Lemon"... the bricked Bird... :mad:

20150603_165838s.JPG 20150603_170515s.JPG
He took many high res pics at my request...
Attached a couple 1/3 resized examples and included thumbnails...
Anyway... Bird #2 is getting the full 06 FW update today to fly on Saturday... :cool:
Working on topping up and updating the other 6 batts as I post this... :p

Last edited:
I have one 47 battery that did that... Suicide...
One day working, but drained...had at least 3 total cycles on it...one since 03 reflash
I had left it 2 days at est 25%...
Went to raise it to 50%... nothing... acted dead...
Sat about 8 days... then one night started flashing the LED's.....woke me up
Very brief flashes then long pauses... I tried again to charge or turn on...
It keep flashing and ignored my efforts to save it...
Over a week later...
Passed it off to an RC buddy to see if it was salvageable...
Asked him to get it apart and use his charging equipment to see if the cells had any charge... would take a charge... maybe save it Dracula style... :eek:
He reported back it drained itself and killed all 12 cells... (6sx2p array inside)
None would hold a charge for long... complete suicide state,,,
The irony is... it's the same 47 batt that came with "Lemon"... the bricked Bird... :mad:

View attachment 2303 View attachment 2304
He took many high res pics at my request...
Attached a couple 1/3 resized examples and included thumbnails...
Anyway... Bird #2 is getting the full 06 FW update today to fly on Saturday... :cool:
Working on topping up and updating the other 6 batts as I post this... :p
12 cells? that cant be right, thats about 50volts if the inspire was using 12 cells we would be using 20"++ props and carrying on a red camera

Stupid question: Does it matter what order you do them in?
Bird (compass)
IMU
then sticks

I don't think the order matters. Location of each is more important. I always do the IMU cal at home on a desk where I can easily adjust the AC to precisely level. I usually do the compass at a field I frequently fly, because there is no question it is in the clear. Understand, I hardly ever do either one. Last week I flew at a location 150 miles from home (pretty rare for me to go that far with the Inspire). All mod values were normal, calibrations were not necessary.

I don't think the order matters. Location of each is more important. I always do the IMU cal at home on a desk where I can easily adjust the AC to precisely level. I usually do the compass at a field I frequently fly, because there is no question it is in the clear. Understand, I hardly ever do either one. Last week I flew at a location 150 miles from home (pretty rare for me to go that far with the Inspire). All mod values were normal, calibrations were not necessary.

calibration the compass at new location is usually a good idea specially if you don't know the place, you never know what sources of interference there may be! like heavy metals that will affect the compass.

but that will rarely happen.

calibration the compass at new location is usually a good idea specially if you don't know the place, you never know what sources of interference there may be! like heavy metals that will affect the compass.
but that will rarely happen.

That is exactly why I avoid calibrating the compass if operating from a new (to me) location. The main evil is outside influences while performing the calibration.

Reactions: The Editor and Eric

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu