Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New firmware available 1.2.1.06

So we have updated to Inspire 1 Firmware v1.2.1.06 and 1.1.2 IOS app, which, unless I'm mistaken, but cant find it anywhere has done away with the IMU calibration function.

There is a known fault with the inspire that the camera periodically does not have the camera level, especially after a firmware update, and even when using the level gimbal function would be problematic and work for a few minutes at best. Recalibrating the IMU fixed this.

So if the calibration IMU function has now been removed - I'm at least hoping these other issues have now been resolved?

Any ideas?
The calibrate IMU function has not been removed!

It is still there.....

So after flying a lot with .06 FW no new drifting for me. Slight drops in altitude and also horizontal drifts but I had minor drifts before. I did do IMU check but didn't think the AC FW (.03) was touched so I skip full IMU cal. My RTH values have always kept true. I've yet to have a problem with that or any FW updates ( .17, .0, .03, .06) I'm using iOS 6+. Knock on wood, still haven't had one hickup in those departments. I guess I've just been lucky, very lucky.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
OK, in that case can I suggest you try something. Do another IMU calibration (obviously making sure its on a level vibration free surface etc and not disturbed in any way during its calibration) but do the calibration immediately you turn on the inspire so the IMU/flight controller is cold.
As soon as the gimbal has done its auto calibrate bit and your lady has said "welcome to your aircraft" etc go straight in and calibrate the IMU.
Give that a try.
Ok did Imu calibration compass mod bouncing between 1258.24 and 1300

Ok did Imu calibration compass mod bouncing between 1258.24 and 1300

I'm guessing those numbers are too low......but are we talking about two different things here? Compass mod values vs. IMU calibration.......not the same thing, right?

Firmware update painless, no issues flying since. Though I _ALWAYS_ perform an IMU and compass calibration after any firmware update (regardless of what the update is for).

Just seems like a good idea and not hard to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but..........

Guys this update only updated the batteries, so there is no need to re-calibrate the compass, nothing was updated but the batteries.

Reactions: Kilrah
Guys this update only updated the batteries, so there is no need to re-calibrate the compass, nothing was updated but the batteries.
You are wrong. The compass should be calibrated every time you go flying - before the first flight in each location. This is the best way to ensure it does not do silly things. Everytime you put the Inspire in the car or near anything magnetic or electric there will be a risk that the compass will be affected.

Reactions: Outta Control
You are wrong. The compass should be calibrated every time you go flying - before the first flight in each location. This is the best way to ensure it does not do silly things. Everytime you put the Inspire in the car or near anything magnetic or electric there will be a risk that the compass will be affected.
Hmmm... I beg to differ but that's just my working practice.

I DO calibrate after a firmware update (including this one) but I NEVER calibrate the compass out in the field (my reasoning behind this is well documented on these forums so I will not go into it again).
I will say, I have been building and flying multirotors for around three years now and I have never calibrated my compass out in the field (never had to). Also, have never had a problem in flight, any TBE or strange flight behavior at any time.

I DO calibrate after a firmware update (including this one) but I NEVER calibrate the compass out in the field (my reasoning behind this is well documented on these forums so I will not go into it again).
I will say, I have been building and flying multirotors for around three years now and I have never calibrated my compass out in the field (never had to). Also, have never had a problem in flight, any TBE or strange flight behavior at any time.
I trust your judgement Ed, so where do you calibrate your bird?, as I look for an open rural field with none of the usual suspects that may interfere with the process. You have more than likely posted this before but as I believe most fly-always are due to lack of diligence in compass calibration, can I get you to comment once again?

I trust your judgement Ed, so where do you calibrate your bird?, as I look for an open rural field with none of the usual suspects that may interfere with the process. You have more than likely posted this before but as I believe most fly-always are due to lack of diligence in compass calibration, can I get you to comment once again?
Have a look at post #83 here, that should outline my philosophy.
http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/epic-2-mile-fly-away.3157/page-5

People have to make up their own minds but this has been my goto flying practice for as long as I have been flying semi autonomous multi rotors. :)

Reactions: damoncooper
Thank you Ed. I have post #83 locked away.
Just make sure you have a known good calibration and you should be good to go.
A good way to check if you have a good cal is:

Pick a spot where you think you should get a good compass calibration away from anything metallic etc.
Calibrate and look for that magic 1500 number (or pretty close to it)
Power off the Inspire, pick it up and walk 30 or 40 feet in any direction.
Power it up again and check your mod values again.
If they are widely different then you probably had a bad cal. (or you are now in a bad spot!)
If they are pretty much the same do the turn off and walk 40 feet (in a completely different direction/spot) and turn on again. If you are still in that 1500 zone you have a good calibration for your declination and you should not need to touch it again unless the app tells you you have a compass error or you travel a long way.
Basically, a three way check should pin down a good calibration.....
Always and I mean ALWAYS check your mod values though before you fly/take off. If any of them are out of spec don't fly.

Just make sure you have a known good calibration and you should be good to go.
A good way to check if you have a good cal is:

Pick a spot where you think you should get a good compass calibration away from anything metallic etc.
Calibrate and look for that magic 1500 number (or pretty close to it)
Power off the Inspire, pick it up and walk 30 or 40 feet in any direction.
Power it up again and check your mod values again.
If they are widely different then you probably had a bad cal.
If they are pretty much the same do the turn off and walk 40 feet (in a completely different direction/spot) and turn on again. If you are still in that 1500 zone you have a good calibration for your declination and you should not need to touch it again unless the app tells you you have a compass error or you travel a long way.
Always and I mean ALWAYS check your mod values though before you fly/take off. If any of them are out of spec don't fly.
Good stuff Ed, it's in my routine now.

I DO calibrate after a firmware update (including this one) .

I'll trust the EDITOR on this one, you DID calibrate after this battery only update?

I'll trust the EDITOR on this one, you DID calibrate after this battery only update?
@Scotflieger, if you do the 3 corner walk with the bird at the new location as the editor says & the IMU gives you the magic +/- 1500 then your compass hasn't been affected by your car etc. That's science I can believe.

In theory (and looking at the log files) yes it was only the batteries that got the update but......... We are talking about DJI here so its possible that something else got updated with no audit trail to it! I always like to be overly cautious on updates so my regime is to do IMU, Compass and Stick calibration after every one :)

Reactions: LockMD
I stand corrected to the Editor's deeper knowledge. But why would I want to walk 10-15m times 3 to check the compass calibration when I can make myself dizzy? NB: I operate in rural locations with little magnetic interference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa